oP group is looking for an artist / level designer

Posted By: jcl

oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 06/24/10 15:59

We're looking for level designers to create architecture parts for replacing our standard prefabs and WAD file.

The task:

Create walls, towers, houses, huts, tunnels, bridges or similar parts that are useful for level design. You do not need to care about the current prefabs. The new prefabs should be general purpose - not too complex and not too special.

The textures, 24 bit, should be stored in a WAD file named "standard8.wad". Every texture should be accompanied by a 32 bit normal map with depth on alpha, in another wad file "standard8_n.wad".

The reward:

Free upgrade to A8.
Additional payment is negotiable, depending on the number of prefabs contributed.

Please contact me if you're interested!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 06/25/10 11:05

Originally Posted By: jcl
The textures, 24 bit, should be stored in a WAD file named "standard8.wad". Every texture should be accompanied by a 32 bit normal map with depth on alpha, in another wad file "standard8_n.wad".

What about specularity maps?

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 06/25/10 11:14

Right, specularity on texture alpha when required. Just the format as described for the standard shaders.

The deadline is about 4 weeks. We take all prefab collections that are good in quantity, quality, and fit into the general concept.
Posted By: Quad

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 06/25/10 14:16

@Frank, please do this grin

@JCL, what about models? will there be also new stock models. Like generic bone animated characters, trees etc. a pack of 10-12 stock models for quick-testing codes would also be very nice. I mean while you are at it about prefabs with dexsoft, negotiate about the models with them too?

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 06/28/10 15:08

Yes, new models will be eventually added, but from standard model shops, so we won't need help from users for this. This is for prefabs only.
Posted By: djfeeler

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 07/13/10 05:09

Should they be done exclusively with WED? Can I use another 3D software?

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 07/13/10 06:33

Your preferred method to create prefabs is completely up to you.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/01/10 12:17

great, so i can level design but i cant do textures. im out of the race then...
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/09/10 18:38

I'd try this, probably the easiest way for me to get a8

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/18/10 21:15

oops, meant that as a pm.

Here's an example of the type of work I'd be able to do:

the first is a quad with the standard gate texture, the second two are my remake, the second version of mine is just to see how light affects the normal map from different distances.

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/19/10 09:48

Yes, this is the sort of improvement we're looking for.

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/19/10 18:44

just finished the normal bake and ambient bake for a second texture getting ready to actually test it.

I think the illusion of depth by the normal map is pretty announced which is nice, i took a little artistic liberty on what parts were on it since the current one is very blurry and yet has a lot of small details that are hard to see, and to make it tile well.

We should start a thread so that people can announce working on a texture or show whats been done already so that people dont waste time doing the same one.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/19/10 18:55

wow great work lostclimate, can't wait to use them! laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/19/10 19:35

@lostclimate, awesome work, you could also make 2nd and 3rd variations of these (f.i. that machinery like texture) for well... variation.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/19/10 23:31

could you bake heightmaps also please?

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/20/10 03:20

well im working on a few more, once i have these finished, I'll have remade 4 of the textures:

oh hummel i didnt see that you posted, yeah i can probably bake the heights too.

Update, heres a new version with some new textures, I tried some heightmap tests, but couldnt get them to look right
since most of my high poly pieces have lots of faces perpendicular to the view.

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 08/20/10 14:27

really great

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/18/10 16:48

what happened with this?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/20/10 21:00

@lostclimate :

No to be bad with you, but your dark grey textures reminds a lot old A6 games using standard wad.
I think you could add lot more polygons to the scene , it's old look and textures, juts my personnal opinion (to make you level up ??) !

In fact we would wait lot more today quality level for a paid level designer ?

Posted By: Helghast

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/21/10 08:57

Originally Posted By: ratchet
@lostclimate :

No to be bad with you, but your dark grey textures reminds a lot old A6 games using standard wad.
I think you could add lot more polygons to the scene , it's old look and textures, juts my personnal opinion (to make you level up ??) !

I think Lost climate's work is great!
Not every type of game needs a first person full on 3D detailed level going on...
And when you do want this, using his textures as base BSP is great, you can detail it all you want with models going everywhere... ofcourse you'll have to make these yourself, but that's where dexsoft is a great resource website wink

just my 2 cents, but keep it up Lostclimate, I like it alot laugh

regards,

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/23/10 17:15

@
Originally Posted By: ratchet
@lostclimate :

While I appreciate your opinion, I created these because the assignment was to remake them. Personally I wouldnt use these type in my project either, because they are just highly detailed textures when I'd prefer actual low poly geometry with high poly bakes instead of just mapping a texture onto a flat wall that has had its normal baked.

But alas that is not the task.

@helghast & painkiller

thank you for your compliments, I do intend to finish this when time/money restraints let up a little for me. I am thankful for the remarks tho.

as far as the scene goes, it is low poly actually in blender not in 3dgs because I wanted to show how they looked in a basic lit scene.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/25/10 21:18

I just said , if A8 should come with quality things , personnaly
i would want things with lot of polygons and detailled textures/normal map !
Only my personnal preferences !

I never said what you have made was bad !
Your textures and level are really good, and i think you could sell a game made on Steam keeping that level of polish laugh !
Or it could become a game demo showing what A8 can do also !

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 10/26/10 04:23

I know what your saying and i take no offense, I too would prefer some models in the scene, but thats not what they are asking for. They are asking for prefabs and textures, and so far all that shows is textures I have been working on.
Posted By: Ocigam

Re: oP group is looking for an artist / level designer - 12/03/10 20:30

Is there a list of one prefab genre? Misc. genre prefabs are not always good (quality).

I wish a set of scifi prefabs. Realy good scifi prefabs. Fantasy Prefabs (realy good designed big bridges etc.) i do like too

Also Shooter-Prefabs wären zwar besser geeignet (ist irgendwie schon Tradition bei 3D Game Studio) aber Adventures/Fantasys Games können doch auch einfach gemacht werden... Ich meine.. bei den bisher erstellten newbie A6/A7 Shooter Games wurde doch auch auf Story geschissen. Mal im ernst.. diese Games haben die Story nur in Textform und sind auf irgendwelche Freeware-Games-Portalen zu lesen.
Das kann man doch genau so gut auch bei Adventure-Games so machen. Das sieht man doch auch schon bei Kommerziellen games. Ok.. ehemalige Lucasarts-Mitarbeiter wären mit meiner Aussage vollkommen unzufrieden, aber das ist doch echt mal die Wahrheit... grin

PS. Wehe hier aus dem Forum ist jemand mit meiner Aussage unzufireden!!!elf
© 2024 lite-C Forums