knights on wheels beta

Posted By: ventilator

knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 19:24

kow.exe ~27mb (self extracting 7zip archive)

a week ago i did some experiments and recycled some of my old stuff for the upcoming contest. i decided to release a beta even if it isn't really finished. smile

f1 = restart level1
f2 = restart level2
right shift = reset vehicle 1
left shift = reset vehicle 2
cu cr cd cl = vehicle 1
w d s a = vehicle 2

currently it takes 87 lines (i already use many tricks but maybe i can reduce it some more). my plan is to add sound effects and particles (i guess particles will be hard with the few lines left) and if the there is a working map compiler in time i will add light maps.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 19:47

you stole my idea, lol.

I created physics code as well (in 50 lines).
only stumbled upon the movement right now XD for some reason my wheels wont rotate correctly...
If you want, maybe you could help me, and explain a bit more on that topic (PM me or email me smile ).

but this looks cool so far, i like the suspension update!
oh, and multiplayer wont work, the 2nd view is not working, but that's because the limit is exceeded on my display adapter i guess (working on a laptop here).

regards,

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 19:57

my two vehicles take 22 lines. with fully animated suspension. :p the rest is for shortcut detection, lap counting, camera and hud and so on.

the resolution is 1280x1024. i will probably reduce it to 1024x768.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 20:23

I enjoyed to play the demo very much! smile

What I miss is a reset button and the ability to drive backwards.
I managed way to often to get blocked when driving against a border, or onto the border with all wheels without contact to earth! laugh

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 20:25

wow! shocked

No way i'm gonna win that :P lol
still, for learning reasons, i'll try and finish this wink
Is your code set up for the car from WED, or created by code ?

regards,

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/12/08 20:45

the vehicles are set up in WED. saves some lines.

Quote:
for some reason my wheels wont rotate correctly...
did you set up the axes correctly? and do you use spheres and no boxes? smile

there is no reverse gear but with the shift keys you can reset the vehicles.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/13/08 08:48

Originally Posted By: ventilator
the vehicles are set up in WED. saves some lines.

Quote:
for some reason my wheels wont rotate correctly...
did you set up the axes correctly? and do you use spheres and no boxes? smile

yes, i set the up axis on axis one (0, 0, 1), and the tilt axis on axis 2 (0, 1, 0).
Nothing wrong there, i also use PH_SPHERE indeed when creating the physical objects :P

Might have to do though with the way is control my car... could you the part where you control the wheels for us? (or if you dont want to do that, PM me... or not at all :P ).

kind regards,
Posted By: croman

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/13/08 14:42

great, really. really good possibility for winning the competition.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/13/08 16:43

Quote:
yes, i set the up axis on axis one (0, 0, 1), and the tilt axis on axis 2 (0, 1, 0).
are you sure the y-axis is correct? in my case i have to use the x-axis. this depends on the orientation of your entities.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/14/08 18:29

I would love to test this out but since the server isn't directing me towards the download link itself, I can hardly C&C on it ^^

Thanks in progress

Frazzle

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/14/08 18:49

it caused too much traffic. i will upload a new version with dds textures and some new features soon.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/14/08 19:35

yes I can't downloas
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/14/08 23:49

stacks of fun and surprisingly well done (not by your standards, but by what we'd expect from <100 semi-colons).

occasionally bumped into thin air.

the shortcut detection is clever :P and the suspension animations are pretty groovy!

it would be cool to be able to reverse, so that when my brother and i are just smashing each other around the place after finishing a race, we don't have to hit reset to get out of a wall.

julz

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 00:20

Quote:
occasionally bumped into thin air.
ODE bugs. crazy but at least vehicles don't fly through the whole level then like it can happen with other objects. smile

Quote:
it would be cool to be able to reverse
that's hard to do right with so few semicolons left so i am not sure i will add this for the contest but maybe afterwards.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 07:56

on the second level while coming down the hill, my brother and i were approaching a tight turn and he was in the lead. i lost control on the way down and bounced over the boundary, pressed the re-set button, and it re-set me on the other side of the turn in front of my brother laugh

needless to say he wasn't happy.

julz

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 08:15

at the first or second right turn? i couldn't reproduce it because i wasn't able to get over the wall but i think i just would have to adjust some shortcut detection settings a bit to fix this. at the moment i use the same settings as for the much broader roads of the first level.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 08:17

i'm pretty sure it was a left turn. i'll just check.

julz

EDIT: yeah, after the bit at the top of the mountain with blue bars, there's one left turn, a relatively gentle right, and then as you approach the tight-left if you rub against the wall on your left you can jump the wall and slide (or roll) down the hill... when you're near (or touching) the wall after the turn you skipped press reset and you should be placed on the road having skipped that turn.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 08:54

thanks! i tried it and it can be fixed with more sensitive shortcut detection settings for the second level but i don't know if i can afford another if(). smile i am already over 100 semicolons with the recent features i have added so maybe i will leave this in as a secret shortcut. smile
Posted By: Samb

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/15/08 09:13

so maybe i will leave this in as a secret shortcut. smile

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!!!" laugh laugh

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/18/08 01:02

i fixed it but it was no bug. smile unfortunately i am way over the limits now but i think there is still room for optimization. :p

Re: knights on wheels beta - 05/19/08 10:27

i can't wait to play the final version laugh it's very cool, and a very strong candidate for winning the competition.

julz

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/03/08 12:47

i have uploaded a new version. it takes 9723 bytes and 98 semicolons without using tricks like i=f1()+f2()+f3()+(a=b); to save semicolons.

i also have a version with particle and sound effects but after the discussion in the contest thread it seems like working on it was in vain. particles and sounds only were possible with some code shortening (no spaces, tabs, line breaks,...) and semicolon tricks.

i also wanted to add light mapping and decal shadows but the new engine version won't be released in time. maybe i will continue to work on this after the contest.
Posted By: kasimir

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/03/08 13:12

Very nice - i like the car-physic, but i don't think that "enegry" is requiet!
It would by nice if you include some engine-sounds!

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/03/08 14:18

i also have a version with particle and sound effects [...]
i also wanted to add light mapping and decal shadows but the new engine version won't be released in time. maybe i will continue to work on this after the contest.

Finish it as a second version! Don't wait until the contest ends. wink

As far as I understand, you did the maps in blender. How do you make the streets? Is there a way to build and uv map a small piece and then extrude it with the texture layout already copied from the initial piece?

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/03/08 14:25

yes, i did the tracks in blender. this works great. you create a mesh tile and then use the curve and array modifiers to clone the mesh tile along a curve. the curve stays editable. i used separate segments for the asphalt road, the gravel road, the bridges and so on and at the end i modeled some connection pieces.

by the way, i originally did the tracks for the http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/ project a few months ago. i wanted to test the blender workflow for creating race tracks and taking part in open source projects is kind of fun. they reach a huge audience with being part of linux repositories and distributions.

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/03/08 16:01

Thanks for the explanation and for the link. I'm making my daily progress with blender. Still switching between MED and blender, because I'm faster with MED in several respects.

What about the programming side of the supertuxcart?
As a market the linux fraction might be good choice for a small developer, but I'm not sure whether they would pay a single coin for a game, because they emphasis the open source thing! wink
Posted By: LaQroix

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/15/08 09:17

Wow its really cool. Thats the script i am lookin forward to code laugh ... I really wonder the technique for avoidin ODE bugs. My car goes mad when i try to drive over a wood block or similar objects. :S
Posted By: broozar

Re: knights on wheels beta - 06/15/08 09:22

yay for supertux kart!
Posted By: mekktroniko

Re: knights on wheels beta - 09/05/10 21:11

Hi...
I´m trying to use the knights on wheels demo that came with free 3dgs a8...
can you help me a little bit? I need to make the car invisible...

i already did this woth the car.. but not with the wheels...
Can anyone help me?
© 2024 lite-C Forums