by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, henrybane, flink, Edgar_Herrera), 758 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
No, Seriously... [Re: Orange Brat] #34992
07/29/06 09:15
07/29/06 09:15
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

No, Seriously...

Quote:

Has the fun gone out of Adventure Games? Perhaps I'd better rephrase that. Has the sense of fun, the sense of playfulness, left the genre?

Tons of articles

Too many to list....have at it.

Adventure Game Interfaces

Quote:

0. Introduction
1. The genre of Adventure Gaming
1.1. Adventure Gaming explained
1.2. Adventure Gaming constructs
1.2.1 Adventure Gaming constructs-Actions
1.2.2 Adventure Gaming constructs-Events
1.2.3 Adventure Gaming constructs-Information as an Item
1.2.4 Adventure Gaming constructs-Conversation Trees
1.2.5 Adventure Gaming constructs-Further Abstractions
1.3. Adventure Game Interfaces
1.4. Analysis of Interfaces
1.5. General rules for Adventure Game Interfaces
1.6. Conclusion

Free Money

Quote:

Now I know there’s such thing as free money. And it’s called: Text Link Ads.

End User Agreement

Quote:

Fire your lawyer.

Where to Start?

Quote:

Good luck guys!

http://www.gameproducer.net/

Bookmark it...use it. Good stuff.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: No, Seriously... [Re: Orange Brat] #34993
07/30/06 04:00
07/30/06 04:00
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
The Adventure Games Interfaces article was very good. Bice links to free, classic adventure games as well.

Steps to success in creating an adventure game [Re: A.Russell] #34994
08/12/06 23:03
08/12/06 23:03
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Steps to success in creating your own adventure game

Quote:

Suddenly and without warning, the seed of a new idea sprung to life in a simple post.

"We should make our own sequel."

A Vision for Adventure Games on Nintendo Wii

Quote:

It isn't a long stretch to think that the Wii can have the same magical effect on adventure games. Sure, if you were paying attention to the Duck Hunt example, it's obvious the Wii controller works great as a point-and-click device. Just point the controller where you want to click. For the first time ever, adventure games can be played on a console without the D-pad or analog stick controls disliked by so many adventure gamers. But that is just scratching the surface of what the Wii could do for adventure games.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Issues with the interactive entertainment industry [Re: Orange Brat] #34995
08/20/06 10:02
08/20/06 10:02
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

My issues with the interactive entertainment industry...

Quote:

I've also been told by one developer, a guy who worked at Valve, that storyboarding simply isn't valid in their process of testing and testing over and over until the interactive direction works. I personally see this as arrogance - even in a 3D space, you're still working with a 2D screen. Someone who knows how to use compositional space to their advantage surely has more directorial nous and thus is capable of solving more visual narrative issues straight out when presented with such problems than a games tester. How much time did the testing process waste when someone could've been brought in with prior knowledge? Then again, competitor id Software actually went so far as to storyboard their Doom 3 opus from beginning to end as a movie. Whether they're more successful or not is up to you and largely down to the basis of each individual game's components.

But where does this arrogance stem from?

My issues with the interactive entertainment industry...Part 2

Quote:

If games are to truly compete with movies, the strange attitude to direction which seems to curse many productions needs to cease. Lately I found out that a major, major games company has assigned their sound designer for cutscene direction. As someone who works within direction... it makes you do a double take. The sound designer? If anything it sounds like cutting economic corners... professionally... but when you take into account that this is a AAA title that outright RELIES on cinematic direction and has a big grounding in storytelling, it does make you wonder what's going on.

Unfortunately companies see narrative as something to tack on. It's only very rarely that it's applied as part of the design document, but if you're creating a game with a narrative then automatically that becomes the backbone which drives the player through. If the narrative doesn't fit the picture, why bother? It will do your product a disservice.

Episodic Games: Future of Gaming or Broken Dream? [Re: Orange Brat] #34996
08/26/06 01:07
08/26/06 01:07
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Episodic Games: The Future of Gaming or a Broken Dream?

Quote:

Moving to a broadcast TV style business model, based largely on episodic game releases, will benefit not only games developers, but publishers, retailers, middleware and content providers.

The Death of Cinematics [Re: Orange Brat] #34997
09/07/06 10:58
09/07/06 10:58
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

AGC: Ubisoft's Nolent Talks 'The Death Of Cinematics'

Quote:

...a trend toward fewer cinematics, and more scripted events. Nolent says Ubisoft is trying to get rid of cinematics entirely, but they do sometimes sneak back in when a map has to be scrapped or there's some other unexpected problem. Nolent expects to see more "playable cut scenes" or scripted events where the story moves ahead, but players still have opportunities for interaction.

Q&A: Introversion's Bedroom Programmer Survival Guide

Quote:

Introversion is an experiment: can three guys set up a successful game development and publishing company with nothing more than £200 and an awful lot of time and energy? Every analyst in the business would tell you it's not possible - but here were are, five years old, stronger than ever.

The State of Adventure Gaming - October 2006 [Re: Orange Brat] #34998
10/05/06 04:19
10/05/06 04:19
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The State of Adventure Gaming - October 2006

Quote:

I realize I’m preaching to the choir when I complain about the pc gaming magazines almost totally ignoring the adventure genre. Of course, said employees at the magazines like to write me and inform me as to what a silly fool I am (although ‘fool’ is not the word they usually use).

What has happened all too often in the past, is that my complaint about a review that, rather than evaluating the game instead proceeds to bash the entire genre, elicits a response that, “Well, if you’re defending (insert name of game here), then no wonder the genre is in trouble.” What they didn’t, no what they refused to understand, is that it is not any specific game I am defending, but the genre as a whole. So imagine my surprise, nay my unbridled glee, to discover that PC Gamer seems to have undergone an adventure game epiphany.

The past few months have featured articles on independent developers such as The Silver Lining team, the Sam n Max resurrection and numerous reviews of adventure games that actually review the game and not the entire genre. New adventure game reviewer Logan Decker – along with Chuck Osborn - seem to actually appreciate the genre and their recent adventure game reviews, both positive and negative, are as fair and balanced as any that have ever ever appeared in PC Gamer.

The credit for this startling change can surely be attributed to new Editor-in-Chief Greg Vederman - aka The Vede - whom I initially incorrectly pegged as just another in a long line of action-loving, adventure-hating editors. Thanks Vede, for proving me wrong.

Quote:

They Also Voted Sam n Max as the Best Sports Game

Adventure gamers are eagerly awaiting Just Cause from Eidos. With over 250,000 acres to explore, 303 missions to accomplish, 89 vehicles to command and 32 stunts to master to ignite a revolution, this is one game that is a must have in the adventure community. What? You didn’t hear? As Eidos is proudly proclaiming in its marketing campaign, Team Xbox.com named Just Cause as the ‘Best Adventure of E3 2006’.

Screen/Play: Technical Narrative Design

Quote:

When you write dialogue, or story materials for a game, you make an effort to write content that's entertaining and well-written. The last thing you want to do is bore your audience by listing facts in a clumsy exposition sequence.

However, when documenting the story content for your game, the reverse is often true. Of course, you still don't want to bore your audience (your fellow game developers). However, the best way to keep your writing from becoming tedious is to stifle your creative urges, and instead approach story documentation as a form of technical writing.

Where's Our Merchant Ivory?

Quote:

Like comic books, games have no élite form or widely-venerated body of work yet. We produce light popular entertainment, and light popular entertainment is trivial, disposable, and therefore culturally insignificant, at least so far as podunk city councilors and ill-advised state legislators are concerned. They feel no reason not to censor games, because games have no constituency that matters and no history as important forms of expression.

Now I know from long experience that a certain percentage of you are making derisive snorts of contempt because you personally care nothing for high culture and see no reason why anyone else would either. But even if you don’t like it, you still need it. And before yet another idiot pipes up with Standard Asinine Comment #1 (“but FUN is the only thing that matters!”), let me just say: No, it's not. Shut up and grow up. Our overemphasis on fun—kiddie-style, wheeee-type fun—is part of the reason we’re in this mess in the first place. To merely be fun is to be unimportant, irrelevant, and therefore vulnerable.

The serious games movement will help a little with this problem because serious games aren’t just for fun, but by itself that’s not enough. People write comic books to help teach kids about fire prevention and healthcare, but that doesn’t change the perception that comics are for kids. Serious games that seem unrelated to games for entertainment won’t do much for entertainment itself.

Elite forms of a medium help to legitimize that medium. They provide status symbols that people who want to be thought of as important and respectable can support. That’s why big corporations and wealthy families give money to ballet companies and symphony orchestras: Publicly sponsoring the elite forms of these arts reflects well on the givers. The élite forms also create shelter in which the less “worthy” forms of the medium can operate more safely. Once an élite form of video games exists, nobody can ever again say, “video games are just a silly waste of time.” Nobody would dream of saying that about music, even if they thought it was true of bubble-gum pop.

Revenge of the High Brow Games

Quote:

We can dismiss the more stupid responses pretty quickly. As I predicted, there was a fair bit of reverse snobbery (“I’m proud that I don’t like literature or classical music, and video games should never be for anybody but people like me”) as well as some regular snobbery (“Merchant Ivory films are powdered-wig costume dramas for middle-class faux intellectuals”). Actually, most Merchant Ivory films are about post-colonial India, not noted for its powdered wigs. Both attitudes are ignorant and tiresome.

Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: Orange Brat] #34999
11/01/06 22:58
11/01/06 22:58
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction?

Quote:

Despite all of the graphical advances, increasingly life-like CG in games has also brought with it some surprising realizations.

The most troubling of these is 'The Uncanny Valley', or the sharp drop in emotional response from an audience as character subtleties and likenesses improve. As is the case with characters in many current Xbox 360 games, our attraction has turned to revulsion. We get creeped out. Is this the result of all our time, money, and hard work? All the per-pixel lighting, dynamic shadows, normal maps, and motion capture of Madden '07 has actually degraded the emotional connection players had with previous versions of the game -- 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

In the quest for this immersive photo-real environment, creativity has died on the operating table. Given all these fantastic tools, the best we can do is attempt to duplicate our own environment on the same regurgitated topics and themes. In an interview with Tomek Bagiñski on his recent CG film 'Fallen Art,' Tomek states that he doesn't see any reason to do photo-real 3d graphics unless you are working for the SFX film industry. His reasoning is that stylized art is far more interesting to look at than just another attempt at reality. The photo-real painting movement ended after a brief period in the late 1960's for exactly the same reason - it was boring to look at. Guess what? So are the majority of today's video games.

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: Orange Brat] #35000
11/02/06 01:09
11/02/06 01:09
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

In the quest for this immersive photo-real environment, creativity has died on the operating table. Given all these fantastic tools, the best we can do is attempt to duplicate our own environment on the same regurgitated topics and themes. In an interview with Tomek Bagiñski on his recent CG film 'Fallen Art,' Tomek states that he doesn't see any reason to do photo-real 3d graphics unless you are working for the SFX film industry. His reasoning is that stylized art is far more interesting to look at than just another attempt at reality. The photo-real painting movement ended after a brief period in the late 1960's for exactly the same reason - it was boring to look at. Guess what? So are the majority of today's video games.

Everyone should check out his Fallen Art movie by the way, it's totally awesome!

As for the topic, I don't think we've reached the realism limit just yet, however I do think non 100% realistic art looks way more interesting, so yes they probably have a point hehehehe.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: PHeMoX] #35001
11/02/06 04:17
11/02/06 04:17
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

The most troubling of these is 'The Uncanny Valley', or the sharp drop in emotional response from an audience as character subtleties and likenesses improve.

Well this is dumb, who thought this up, somebody who never cried at a movie?

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de