by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 938 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MMORPG : Hiring a Server Company or Self Start #141200
07/15/07 07:02
07/15/07 07:02
Florida
O
oldschoolj Offline OP
oldschoolj  Offline OP
O

Florida
Hi folks,

I am close to the beta release of my MMO, and I need to figure out a few things. Does anyone have info on setting up the servers? Here are my questions, and if you know any info pertaining to any of these questions please post. This could be links, ideas, etc. Please note that although I greatly appreciate it, I do not need advice at this time on how to program, manage, or author the software aspect. I am only interested in developing a realistic planner for getting the project online and ready to handle subscribers.

1- Does anyone knnow how to get in contact with a company that runs and regulates servers for you. The hardware, software, whatever. What are these comapnies website links? Average cost? Location? Software Requirements?

2- Does anyone know the hardware requirements for setting up a server that could handle 1 test server w/ up to 2,000 clients, 5 to 10 regular servers with up to 3,000 clients and run the software smoothly. I need to know what hardware is required, what internet speed is required, and if it is even feasable, assuming I have the appropriate software for handling it all.

3- Would anyone be willing to chat with me about the steps needed to make this happen. I would love to learn as muc has possible about these things so that I can start forcasting, and budgeting this aspect of the development cycle. Please PM me with your MSN ID.

Thanks folks,

Jesse

{Project Hooked}

you can find me with my face in the keyboard, unshaven, listening to some nameless techno tragedy, and hashing through code over a cold cup a stale joe. __________________________________ yours truly
Re: MMORPG : Hiring a Server Company or Self Start [Re: oldschoolj] #141201
07/15/07 07:19
07/15/07 07:19
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
1) The average dedicated server you can rent will cost about 300+ USD a month and rarely if ever can you install a video or sound card on it. Good for running non-graphic dedicated servers. The bandwidth you get is usually under 1 Mbps.

2) You would need to buy a high end computer with as many processors and raided drives as possible. 5 to 10k USD. The internet bandwidth will chew you up with lowend 1.5 Mbps at a few hundred and full on 5 to 10 mbps (needed for 2000 clients) about 1.5 thousand USD. So you are looking at about 14 thousand in bandwidth a year and 10 thousand in hardware per 2000 clients... roughly.

3) Not it.

Re: MMORPG : Hiring a Server Company or Self Start [Re: fastlane69] #141202
07/15/07 07:39
07/15/07 07:39
Florida
O
oldschoolj Offline OP
oldschoolj  Offline OP
O

Florida
I've read multiple opinions on bandwidth vs. cost, but I think I could get away with about 1k concurrent online @ 1.5 mbps. I'm not sure if those costs you listed are reasonable though. You could run several virtual servers on one machine, and handle thousands of clients.

However, would I need to use linux? Is that even possible with 3dgs? I only ask because, an open source option may e the only economicaly viable solution if I have to pay for OS rights.

you can find me with my face in the keyboard, unshaven, listening to some nameless techno tragedy, and hashing through code over a cold cup a stale joe. __________________________________ yours truly
Re: MMORPG : Hiring a Server Company or Self Start [Re: oldschoolj] #141203
07/15/07 21:06
07/15/07 21:06
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

I'm not sure if those costs you listed are reasonable though

I just bought two workstation boxes that will double as our servers upon testing/pre-release and each one cost 5k (with only two cpus and two raided drives). I just recently have been contacting several local bandwidth providers and those are the costs they gave me. Resonable or not, that's what they are for me here in Ohio, USA.

Quote:

You could run several virtual servers on one machine, and handle thousands of clients.

Not really. Having 1000 virtual servers on one physical server will not increase either a) the number of clients you can host on one machine nor b) the bandwidth you need to host those clients. You are still bound by the physical limitations of the machine. Every virtual instantiation is taking some resources away from your machine, so you are already taking resources away from the simulation. And every virtual instantiation will use a "slice" of the clock so that for every time that one virtual server is updating it's process, all the rest are on stand by... I'm not quite sure how well that would work out.

Quote:

but I think I could get away with about 1k concurrent online @ 1.5 mbps. [...] and handle thousands of clients.

1.5 mbps/2000 clients = 750 bps/client. If you keep your network traffic to under 100 kilobytes per second at full client capacity, you can do that. But to acheive those numbers you have to sacrifice a lot of the simulations fidelity since sending the position of evey 50 clients around you breaks the budget... or 25 clients position plus one action from each. Heck, even 10 clients chatting among themselves will break your budget. Either buy 1.5 mbps and host 1000 clients max or triple the bandwidth to accomodate 2000 clients or more.

Quote:

would I need to use linux?

I run my servers on windows xp or 2003... so you don't NEED to use linux. As to CAN you use linux, I'm unaware of the status of 3dgs to linux translations but since 3DGS is windows native, I can't imagine that using a linux server would save you any problems and probably introduce a few new ones of it's own.

Re: MMORPG : Hiring a Server Company or Self Start [Re: oldschoolj] #141204
07/16/07 03:56
07/16/07 03:56
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Take look at WebHostingTalk sometimes they have very nice offers for dedicated servers.

smile

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de