by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (howardR, 7th_zorro), 893 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The 48-hour-contest #242658
12/24/08 23:14
12/24/08 23:14
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
THE CONTEST IS OVER! The the entries in the other thread. This thread is now used for discussion about this contest.

Original post follows...

To take part, register and create a ticker on the ticker site (link below). Post an update there with your basic idea and the theme you chose. You may still change that later, it's just so we have a general idea when you began.

You will have to be finished after 48 hours. Have it uploaded by Monday afternoon! Good luck! smile

The themes are below.

The 48-hour-contest!

See also: this.

Hello there, fellow gamecreator! Christmas is over, so we all need to go back to work. In order to get back into the swing of things, why don't you take part in this great contest? Your goal is to create a playable game in 48 hours or less - that's basically this weekend.
Voting will start on Monday, and if your game isn't uploaded by then, you won't be able to win.

What can you win? Whats up to grabs?

First Prize
A Copy of Intense X Copper!
NOTE: This will only be offered if there are five or more contestants. If the winner already owns a copy of Intese X Copper, he will get a free upgrade to Silver once it's done. In case that there are less than 5 contestants, we will offer something else as a prize.
Quote:

The Next Generation Game Creation System
Intense X is the ultimate game creation tool for non-programmers and programmers alike. With Intense X and the Game Studio A7 engine, you can create any game you can imagine. Intense X utilizes state of the art Artificial Intelligence and Path Finding engines to bring life to your games, without the generic look that often accompanies other game creation systems.
With Intense X, you can create your game from the ground up, or add it to an existing project with no hassle at all. Intense X is an open-source solution and can easily be expanded and customized to fit your needs. Intense X sets a new standard for independent game creation.

Second Prize
Four Little Warriors - Registration code for the full game
NOTE: This will only be offered if there are five or more contestants.
Quote:

Four Little Warriors offers rapid arcade action for up to four players. The game offers experimental gameplay.
Push yourself to your limits within the last few minutes left and collect more power crystals than your antagonists. Rely on your sword, your skill and your swiftness. Kill the enemy golems to gain even more crystals, but never dare to get caught by one of them. Succeed in the battle against your competitors and show them who is the king of the battlefield!

Here are the rules!

• Create a playable game in 48 hours or less
  • Your game has to fit the given theme in some sort. It's up to you how you interprete it, but remember that other users will judge you based on how close it matches their interpretation.
  • You are required to use a development-ticker. This means that you have to post an update to the current status at least once every three hours. Of course, while you are sleeping or not working, you don't have to post that - but if you post suspiciously few updates, then we'll know.
  • The winner of the contest will be decided by a community vote: An open poll posted in a new thread.
  • You need to finish your game this weekend - it has t be uploaded by Monday morning. We aren't cruel, heartless, mean people, but we won't tolerate everything. So better don't gamble with that.
  • Please use english text for instructions and story, so that everyone can play. You may use any engine or system. Is the acknex-community only going to vote for games made with Acknex? Who knows! But it certainly is going to be interesting to see the different workflow with different tools.
  • Please don't use an installer. Just a compressed archive with all the needed files in there. Remember to add a readme!

The ticker
You are required to post development-updates at least once every three hours in which you actually worked. That means that you don't need to post an update if you haven't worked on your game the past three hours, so you don't need to wake up just to post that you've slept wink
Please also post pictures and screenshots. No need to do it with every update, but every now and then.
You may do that on your own personal blog, but thanks to Quadraxas, you may also use a special website done exclusively for this contest. The link will be posted here shortly.

Uploading the game
If you have your own webspace, it'd be great if you could use that. Otherwise, apart from services like Rapidshare, you can also use this generous offer from LarryLaffer:

Quote:

Also, I can contribute web space if people have a hard time posting their games. There:

Code:
server: ftp.intense-i.com
username: anonymous@intense-i.com
no password

just go in there and drop everything inside the /incoming folder and i'll set up the html link for you.

NOTE: If you want to use that service by LarryLaffer, please post a note here after uploading, so that Larry knows!

48 hours and teams
You may be tempted to use finished code from old projects or levels you already did years ago. Of course, you may use small finished codepieces or ressources you can download from the web (don't forget to credit them!), but a significant portion (>80%) needs to be done by yourself or your team only for this project.

You may work in a team on this. You have to state how many people worked on this. Your team must not exceed three members in size.

The theme
Your game has to fit our given theme. How you interprete it and how much you let that theme influence you depends on you - but remember that other users will judge your game on it!

The theme
Your game has to fit our given theme. How you interprete it and how much you let that theme influence you depends on you - but remember that other users will judge your game on it!

This contest has TWO THEMES to chose from. It's up to you which you chose! Or you could try to combine them (which might be quite the challenge!)

1) Create a heartwarming game!
Christmas is over, but aren't we still all in the mood? Now that we've been bombarded by dozens of christmas-specials and now that we've spent time with our family, it's time to transfer all that into a game! Will it be a bittersweet kind of heartwarming, or will it be the corniest thing ever? Will it include puppies and kittens, or will it be about saving christmas for a little girl? Be creative and focus on characters!

2) Create a psychological horror game!
And this isn't too far off christmas either - You did christmas shopping too, right?
In seriousness, your task is to create a game that makes the player feel uncomfortable and makes them think. What kind of world will you let the player explore? Will the player be weak and unable to defend themselves? and what kind of evil shall we overcome? Try not to make it cliche: Something that's NOT about zombies or other standard-horror-creatures would be appreciated (See also this). Or how about an artistic statement? Can you turn mobbing, or other "everyday evils" into true psychological horror?

I hope these themes give you plenty of ideas! A little brainstorming goes a long way. Note that both themes do not limit the genre in any way. If you do it right, you can also make heartwarming puzzlers or psychological racing games. Both are an exercise in setting up an athmosphere, and it will be difficult to achieve both without a small story.

By the way, if this contest becomes a success, then we might do it again soon. The winner of this contest may then choose the theme of the next contest

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you guys create.

Last edited by Error014; 12/29/08 13:26.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Error014] #242660
12/24/08 23:25
12/24/08 23:25
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Nice, with %80 certainty, ill take part in the contest.

The tickers, should be ready by now but because of some real-life problems it got delayed. Hopefully it will be ready by Thursday noon.

Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Quad] #242677
12/25/08 04:30
12/25/08 04:30
U.S.
GamerX Offline
GamerX  Offline

U.S.
I would try but i live in the US its still Christmas eve and im busy the next few days. Hope to see some of the games that get finished though.

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: GamerX] #242726
12/25/08 10:34
12/25/08 10:34
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
The contest will take part this weekend, that'd mean right after christmas. Are you still busy then? We'd love to see your entry, GamerX! smile

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Error014] #242735
12/25/08 11:19
12/25/08 11:19

F
Fear411
Unregistered
Fear411
Unregistered
F

i ll also take part

Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: ] #242740
12/25/08 12:21
12/25/08 12:21
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

I won't have time for taking part (most likely), but what I can offer as a 2nd prize is a free registration code for my game "Four Little Warriors" in order to upgrade it to the full version. Worth ~ 10 Euro

Makes only sense if there are at least 5 participants, though.

Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: FBL] #242748
12/25/08 13:19
12/25/08 13:19
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
I'll take part smile.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Joozey] #242753
12/25/08 14:37
12/25/08 14:37
United States
Doof_Guy Offline
Doof_Guy  Offline

United States
I wish i could take part, but i will be really busy this weekend...and i still got to finish last week-ends game smile

your friendly neighborhood,
Doof

To see what 3d models i have made and animated, see the link to my bloghttp://championsdawn.blogspot.com
Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Doof_Guy] #242763
12/25/08 16:14
12/25/08 16:14
Germany
Turrican Offline
User
Turrican  Offline
User

Germany
Count me in! smile

One question though: would it be possible for me to write an 'offline ticker'? This would be necessary because I cannot guarantee to be able to access the internet on a regular basis.

Re: The 48-hour-contest [Re: Turrican] #242779
12/25/08 17:09
12/25/08 17:09
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
Thanks for the interest so far! With Quadraxas, that'd mean that we currently have four contestants - we need one more in order to reach the magical five-people-barrier. So if you are interested even the tiniest bit, then join! It will be educational, entertaining, and a great way to see how you could become more effective! smile

Quote:
would it be possible for me to write an 'offline ticker'? This would be necessary because I cannot guarantee to be able to access the internet on a regular basis.

I think that given your circumstances, that's okay. Just remember to update your "offline ticker", and try to update the onlineticker as often as you can. smile

Are you able to upload the game in time?

Quote:

what I can offer as a 2nd prize is a free registration code for my game "Four Little Warriors" in order to upgrade it to the full version. Worth ~ 10 Euro

Thanks, Firoball! That's a great and generous offer! smile
I've added your price to the first post, thanks again! smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de