by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 911 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) #46113
05/17/05 19:55
05/17/05 19:55
Bay Area
Doug Offline OP
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Short Answer: Right now you can not just press a button in 3DGS and publish for any platform other than Windows machines running DirectX9 or greater.

Long Answer: Most of the data in this thread is still relevant. Please READ THAT THREAD FIRST before asking questions in this thread.

Update: I still encourage people to develop games using 3DGS and submitting those to Microsoft, Sony, and/or Nintendo to get approval. This is the best way to get things moving. There has been two big changes since November 2002 that will make this easier for you, the indie developer:
1) XBox has started a new way to distribute smaller games directly to consumers (Live Arcade).
2) All three companies have announced new systems (PS3, XBox360, Nintendo Revolution). All of them are rumored to support Live Arcade style downloads.

Take a look at XBox Live Arcade ( http://www.xbox.com/en-us/livearcade/default.htm ) for ideas on what sort of games Microsoft is buying.

Also note, the large numbers we quoted for XBox ports is not valid for Live Arcade. I would have to get more information, but I'm guessing that the cost/time would be much smaller...

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Doug] #46114
05/18/05 14:10
05/18/05 14:10
SLC, UT
prophet Offline
User
prophet  Offline
User

SLC, UT
That is cool, the game option for download. Just all the games look generic. Nothing special about them. Seems like they are only trying to release novelty games. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo do no follow the same path. Lets also hope all three are more outsider friendly.

The attempt at a one man show. http://www.mutsoftware.com
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: prophet] #46115
05/23/05 06:48
05/23/05 06:48
Arlington Heights, IL USA
cbw Offline
cbw  Offline

Arlington Heights, IL USA
Well, I recently contacted Nintendo about getting a game we want to make on Revolution... they will get back to me they said when all the details are fleshed out, but so far they say they are very excited to open the door to smaller devs.

Greg Szemiot, Lead Designer, Orb Crossbeam Studios Entertainment
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: cbw] #46116
05/24/05 17:42
05/24/05 17:42
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
I'm glad to hear that! Congrats cbw if you get an second answer from Nintendo!

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Ambassador] #46117
05/27/05 01:56
05/27/05 01:56
agreenknight Offline
Developer
agreenknight  Offline
Developer

Yeah congrats cdw,

One thing I heard about all three consoles is there going to have downloadable content and that was the Phantom's major advantage. So that doesn't leave phantom any place.

Keep It Simple, Make It Fun
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: agreenknight] #46118
05/27/05 18:47
05/27/05 18:47
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
The phantom?

That's vaporware from a sketchy business man...what does the Phantom have anything to do with REAL systems?

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: fastlane69] #46119
05/28/05 04:49
05/28/05 04:49
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Looks like he was simply stating a feature that was announced a few years ago for the phantom (Which was a very appropiate name IMO), is being rolled out in the nextgen consoles, Something that the current generation didn't/doesn't really have, so the phantom is the only thing that one can really refer to as far as consoles go (Even if it is vaporware). Thats how I take it anwyasy

Regards,
Ayrus

suprised my account is still active....
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Ayrus] #46120
05/28/05 21:13
05/28/05 21:13
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
DL content was an Xbox idea since day one and I wouldn't be surprised PS as well. They couldn't pull it off at the time and this time they think they can.
So at least in this regard, the phantom was capitalizing on the nextgen consoles frenzy, not the other way around IMO.

Anywho...the phantom is flawed in so many ways, it's hard to take serious in ANY context and I cringe at the mere mention....yikes...

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: fastlane69] #46121
05/30/05 04:10
05/30/05 04:10
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
Yes, I agree.. it had tons of little flaws and seemed more of a circus rig than a true console (Anyone remember the [Hard OCP] fiasco?) that was an interesting time. Either way, DL Content is a good idea, and it is about time it is implemented... and it actually has me curious as to how their implementations will work (How they will be similar/different from each other). The nice thing about it is that it does offer a whole new set of options to the developer (Possible software patches/updates/fixes for games that would be otherwise stuck with any flaws that they are published with.

Regards,
Ayrus

Regards,
Ayrus

suprised my account is still active....
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Doug] #46122
06/01/05 20:43
06/01/05 20:43
webamerica Offline
webamerica  Offline

Hello,

I notice that some of the members are seeking information on the xbox platform
dev kit and if you can get your game into this console. Here is the most recent information i was able to find. I hope this will offer some direction for those members who are interested in this market.

If You Want to Publish Games for Xbox

The only way to publish games for Xbox is to become a licensed Xbox publisher. If you are an established game publisher and are interested in publishing games for Xbox, click here to send email to Publish@xbox.com and you will be contacted. Please include contact information and a brief description of your company.
---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Registered Developer Program

The Xbox Registered Developer Program is designed to allow established game developers access to Xbox hardware and support in order to familiarize themselves with the architecture, tailor existing tools and technologies to take advantage of the unique features, and to be able to bid for and secure development projects for the Xbox console. Should your company be accepted into the program, you will be allowed access to development tools and passive technical support in form of the Xbox Central Web site and newsgroups. You may also be invited to participate in various technical sessions and seminars we hold over the course of the year.

Key Points
Applications for entry to the Registered Developer Program may be requested by emailing a request to NADev@xbox.com

Please include contact information and a brief description of your company.

Applying developers will be required to execute a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft prior to being considered for the program.

If accepted, the developer will be allowed to obtain no more than two (2) Xbox Development Kit licenses, subject to the terms of the Microsoft XDK License Agreement.

Developer support under this program is limited to access to Web based information and materials, newsgroups access, and may include invitations to participate in Xbox technical seminars.

NOTE: Acceptance into the Xbox Registered Developer Program in no way implies any endorsement by Microsoft of the developer or their work, and does not guarantee approval of the work as an authorized Xbox title by Microsoft. NO XBOX SOFTWARE PRODUCT(S) MAY BE PUBLISHED, OR DISTRIBUTED TO END USERS, EXCEPT BY A LICENSED PUBLISHER PURSUANT TO AN XBOX DEVELOPMENT KIT AND XBOX PUBLISHER LICENSE AGREEMENT EXECUTED BY MICROSOFT.

cheers

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de