by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,078 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Doug] #46153
11/23/05 14:46
11/23/05 14:46
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
Quote:

If I had an infinite pot of cash I would spend the $700,000 (est.) for the next-gen Unreal engine and hire some programmers to figure it all out (each working for a six figure salary).

With you on that one

Quote:

Too bad those infinite cash pots are so hard to find.

You just need to know where to look: check down the back of the sofa

Well all I need to know is that should the hyperthetic need for a GS port, that it wouldn't mean going back to the drawing board, although some consessions for platform limitations would of course be a requisite, and I believe you covered that nicely.

So im satisfied.

It just so happens we already have an agreed license with a AAA games engine, which has been ported to PS2 and Xbox but a little red tape is slowing things down, and might prevent us taking it to the next level.

So I have to admit im playing both sides at the moment

Thanks again Doug

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Doug] #46154
02/03/06 00:36
02/03/06 00:36
agreenknight Offline
Developer
agreenknight  Offline
Developer

How about this, anyone who wants to make a game for another platform, prototypes in 3dgs, then goes to that platform's gatekeepers, and ask for permission to port.

Keep It Simple, Make It Fun
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: agreenknight] #46155
02/03/06 07:57
02/03/06 07:57
Hamburg, Germany
slacer Offline
Expert
slacer  Offline
Expert

Hamburg, Germany
The prototype should show if it is possible to do what you want on the target platform.
If your demo uses tons of shaders, bones, terrain and multiplayer network AND your target platform is the AMIGA or a non DirecX platform like linux, the whole thing is worthles.
Well, you could show the gameplay but thats all.

You do the prototype not only for publishers - it is for YOU.
- Is feature X possible on that platform?
- How complicated is it to create this effect in our game?
- What are the model constraints (num vertices, num textures, ...)
- Can we use 3D Package [big name here] use to create the models
- What is the exact workflow to get the model out of our 3D Package into the game?
- What are the restrictions with this workflow (like: can not use bone animations because there is no exporter with that feature)

Now, your prototype is ready to show with GameStudio.
The publisher wants this to run on your target platform - say X-Box

You need to do the whole trick again, because you can not derive your experiences from engine A to engine B

-- slacer

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: slacer] #46156
02/05/06 15:07
02/05/06 15:07
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
I think AGreenKnight meant that after showing it to the gatekeeper of the concole, they said it's cool with them, then getting Conitec to make the push-button that will allow you to publish to that platform.

I guess this anyway, as it's an idea I've had.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: slacer] #46157
02/07/06 22:13
02/07/06 22:13
Bay Area
Doug Offline OP
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

If your demo uses tons of shaders, bones, terrain and multiplayer network AND your target platform is the AMIGA or a non DirecX platform like linux, the whole thing is worthles.

Yes, you could make a game using 3DGS that wouldn't work on your target platform, and it is doubtful that porting from 3DGS to any console will be as easy as pressing a button, you should keep this in mind when you design the project.

But, if you want to get into the console business (where the money is at), the goal isn't to use 3DGS to make a game that runs on a console. The goal is to make a game that makes people say: "If we had this game on our platform we could make big money!"

If you go to the Microsoft XBox360 developer website (the public part) you will find a guide on how to design games on available PC hardware that most closely matches the console hardware. You can do the same sort of thing for other consoles. But the first thing you should think about is making a game that is fun to play using a console controller and running on a TV screen.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Doug] #46158
02/20/06 02:47
02/20/06 02:47
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
Back to the Download Service. SIcne Nintendo offers its Virtual Console, is there any Information about Inde development on it?
As far as I know, The Virtual COnsole system allows to donwload Demos for Revolution, and Old Games from previous consoles for a little fee every year.
Ive asked nintendo about this, however i havent got a reply yet...

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: sPlKe] #46159
02/21/06 05:21
02/21/06 05:21
agreenknight Offline
Developer
agreenknight  Offline
Developer

I worked with some programmers at a Pizza deliverly place. Why did they work there? They went to school in Russia, and they're degrees didn't transfer. So they had to do things over again.

One thing he mentioned is you need big company resources behind you. I've been thinking about that and it's somewhat true. You don't necessary need to be at a big company, though. Maybe you could get into an agreement with a big company. Too do that you would need to have something that looked good enough that they would want to invest those kinds of resources.

True, to make the big money, you need to be on the consoles. The thing is though, first I have to beable to get a project going. Right now I'm trying to study some programming books. Once I make a game, then I can think about doing xbox, or simulations, or maybe a simulation game.

One thing I will bring up is Meteos. Now if I wanted to get something on an xbox, that's where I would probably look. Simple, and addictive.

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: agreenknight] #46160
02/25/06 23:44
02/25/06 23:44
USA
Gho5tFac3K1llah Offline
Developer
Gho5tFac3K1llah  Offline
Developer

USA
Quote:

If you go to the Microsoft XBox360 developer website (the public part) you will find a guide on how to design games on available PC hardware that most closely matches the console hardware.

Where's the Microsoft XBox360 developer website at? I tried looking through a search engine but I couldn't find anything.

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: Gho5tFac3K1llah] #46161
02/26/06 19:35
02/26/06 19:35
agreenknight Offline
Developer
agreenknight  Offline
Developer

By the way, anyone looking to want to port there game to linux I suggest checking out cedega. It's a linux service that makes it able to play windows games on linux. http://www.transgaming.com/

Re: Other Platforms (Porting to X: Part 2) [Re: agreenknight] #46162
02/27/06 21:29
02/27/06 21:29
Bay Area
Doug Offline OP
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bay Area

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de